Sunday, May 15, 2011

Love That!

So in the course of daily living and internet searching, we all come across stuff that we love.  Well, love isn't love until we give it away right?  Only this blog isn't really a business.  I mean, maybe someday I will be that cool, but right now, it is just my shout out to cyber world and to the handful of family and friends who read this.

So, since people aren't giving me free stuff to give away, I am going to just share some of the things I love.

This week, I love this stuff:

1.  Housekeepers.
Okay, that sounds kind of snobby, but stick with me.  I work a lot.  I travel for work a lot.  I have 3.5 bathrooms.  Years ago I sold Mary Kay, and this is the most valuable thing I learned from that organization:  How to value my free time.  I look at how long it would take me to hard clean my house:  bathrooms, floors, dusting, kitchen.  That would be a minimum of 4 hours.  Now I take a look at my week and determine how much those 4 hours are worth to me.  In my world, they are worth a lot.  Are they worth $80?  Ab-so-freaking-lutely!

Do you know what I can do with 4 hours on a Saturday?  I can take a 6 mile hike.  I can go to the farmers market, get my car washed, and read a book.  I can sleep in (okay, I never really do that, but the thought is fantastic).  I can play a round of golf.   You get the idea.  I understand that housekeepers sound extravagant, but honestly, I would give up cable before I gave up my housekeepers.

If you are interested in having a housekeeper, I would recommend that you do a little research first.  You want to make sure that they are licensed and bonded.  You may also want to check their references, or look at a referral website like Angie's List before giving someone regular, unsupervised access to your home.

1. Mrs. Meyers
So after all that gushing over how much I love my housekeepers, it is not to say I don't clean anything.  I clean the kitchen after using it - counters and dishes.  I run the vacuum before company comes over.  I do laundry.  Recently I have found the best household cleaners, that just so happen to be green.  Feel free to pick your jaw off the floor.  I know I am not usually one to promote green stuff, but baby, this stuff is awesome.





I picked some of this stuff up a few weeks ago, and was doubtful that it would meet my OCD cleaning requirements.  I just couldn't imagine a green cleaner killing bacteria, and getting things clean.  But I was wrong.  I have tried the countertop cleaner and the dish soap in two flavors - Basil and Lavender, and it is awesome.  The stuff really cleans (in my opinion, just as good as 409 or Dawn) and it smells heavenly.  It isn''t overly perfume-y and doesn't linger forever.  It does however do a good job of cleaning while smelling fresh and pleasant rather than chemical-y.

I just checked out the Mrs. Meyers website (to borrow these images), and noticed that they have a $5 off coupon for orders of $25 or more on line.  I have also found these products at stores like BB&B, and Target.  Personally, I can't wait to try out some of their other products.

3.  The Halogen "Whitney" Pant from Nordstrom.


I am obsessed with finding high quality, low maintenance work clothes.  I want to look like a million bucks on a $100 budget.  A couple of years ago, I found the Halogen brand in Nordstrom's Point of View department.  I have been in love since the moment we met.

 First of all, once you find your size, the pants fit perfect.  The Whitney cut is my favorite, but I probably have at least one pair of each cut.  Second, these work pants are MACHINE WASHABLE.  No dry cleaning needed.  Will I pay $78 for a pair of pants that I don't have to dry clean?  Heck yeah!

Third, free alterations at Nordstrom.  (Cue the angel chorus.) You see I am 5' 3 3/4" tall.  Petite clothes are supposed to be for people 5' 4" and under.  If I wear heals, Petite clothes are too short.  If I wear regular clothes, I would need 6 inch hooker heals to keep my pants from dragging the floor.  At Nordstrom, when I buy pants, the sweet seamstress comes right on up to the dressing room and marks my pants for hemming.  I pay, leave my pants behind for a day or two of alterations, and then pick up my perfectly fitted, washable, stylish pants.

Hallelujah.  Amen.


So there are three of my favorite things.  What are you loving these days?  I am going to try to make this a regular feature, and I would love if you share your favorites with me too.  Share the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment